View inside the book
It is not enough to treat craft as an afterthought, but rather, the best results are obtained when craft itself forms the DNA of the design. This volume aims to create a lavish showcase of the possibilities of Indian crafts being used in expressive, practical and contemporary ways within interior spaces. Organized by material, the contributors take us through the wide range of regional craft variations as well as outstanding examples of design solutions that utilize these crafts. The result is a volume that functions as a reference resource, inspirational “lookbook,” and index of practitioners. With insightful essays on stone; grass, coir and natural fibres; wood; textiles; bamboo and cane; glazed ceramics and terracotta; surface decoration; metal; and glass and mirror-work by various pioneers as well as stunning visuals, this is an indispensable volume for students and practitioners of design.
Asha Sairam is a Design Principal at Studio Lotus.
Kristine Michael is a ceramic artist, curator, arts educator and writer based in New Delhi.
Neelam Chhiber is Co-founder and Managing Trustee at Industree Crafts Foundation.
Rebecca Reubens works at the intersection of design, craft and sustainability.
A. Balasubramaniam is currently the Director of the Institute of Design at J.K. Lakshmipat University, Jaipur.
Mitchell Abdul Karim Crites has spent his life studying, preserving and reviving the great art forms of the Islamic world.
Ayush Kasliwal is the Creative Director and Co-founder of AKFD and Anantaya, based in Jaipur, India.
Arjun Rathi is an architect and lighting designer and the Founder of Arjun Rathi Design.
• Introduction: Enter, But with Bowed Head
• New Faces of Permanence: Stone
• Shaping What Shapes Us: Glazed Ceramics and Terracotta
• Embracing the Planet: Grass, Coir and Natural Fibres
• Fresh Breezes Stir Bamboo and Cane: Bamboo, Cane and Willow
• New Roots for Old Trees: Wood
• The Flow of Fabric Enters a New World: Textiles
• Changing the Writing on the Wall: Surface Decoration
• Old Core Gleams Once More: Metal
• Giving Glass a Vanity: Glass and Mirror-work
• Old Stones Sing Again: Heritage Properties
• Enriching a Living Civilization: Inspiration
|Number of photographs||288|
|Size||9 x 11” (228.6 x 280 mm), hc|
|Date of Publishing||Fall 2022|
|Co-publisher(s)||In association with Institute of Indian Interior Designers, Mumbai.|
|Rights Available||World rights|